Central Council Spring 2021 - Zoom Meeting

Central Council Meeting

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Zoom Video Conference



Central Council:  Brian Thomson (Chief), Adam Farkas (Asst. Chief), Owen Schneider (Asst Chief), Bill Visser (EYC), Sue Sproule (GHPRF), Fran Doyle (ROCH), Mike Brown (TORW), Diana Riley (Exec. Asst)

TAC: John Crawley, Garry Cooke

Guest: Larry Huibers  (Pres), Alison Jones (Sec/Tres)

1)      Call to order 10:21

2)      Motion to approve Minutes from Winter Meeting.
          M/S – Adam/Owen. Carried

3)     Class Reviews:

1. New & Changed Handicap review.

to defer review of this list due to lack of Analysis results for 2020.
With exceptions to review/discuss the following:
- C&C 30-2 MOD, Beneteau 40.7 SD, G&S 34 MOD 2,Viking 28 OB MOD
M/S: Bill/Sue. Carried.

  1. Beneteau 40.7 SD – Approved with no objections
  2. C&C 30-2 MOD – Approved with no objections
  3. G&S 34 MOD 2 – Hold for race data with no objections
  4. Viking 28 OB MOD – Hold for race data with no objections.

2. Other classes

    1. Esse 850 – appeal of procedure regarding changing handicap – Brian Thomson

      Motion to rescind the change to the handicap made at the February meeting.
      Bill/Sue. Carried.

    2. Viper 830 – connected to above decision to alter decision.

      Motion to rescind the change to the handicap made at the February meeting and to revisit the review at this meeting.
      Bill/Sue. Carried. Adam – objection due to error

3. Grievances

    1. Beneteau 1st 40 – Arriba – Mike Brown
      Mike Noted: that there are 9 pages when our maximum is 5 pages.
      Response: The 5 page maximum was set to allow Central Council to focus on the important information without extraneous and often needless information, when they are trying to address many items in a short amount of time.
      Question: This appeal does not conform to the requirements as detailed in our appeal form on the maximum pages.
      Comments: Reviewing an appeal with this many pages and also without any recent race data on a one-off boat is very difficult.

      to not to accept the appeal as it does not conform to our requirements. M/S. Bill/Adam. Carried.

4. New items

    1. Viper 830 – review at last meeting was based on perceived error on the part of Central Council to adjust the handicap 2 years in a row.

      that we adjust the FS-SP +27, to arrive at handicap of FS-ASP of 59.
      M/S Sue/Owen. Carried.

4)    Handicapping items:


  • CTP credit - review of the LM Graded credit system. Adam Farkas
    LM Centerline credit is based on the displacement.
    We should consider a scaled credit system.
    Adam will run test against our Data.
    Adam and Owen will explore options.


  • No changes or reviews

c) Jib:

d) Prop: Inboard retractable with flush plate. – Owen Schneider
The following classes should be listed as “IB” with individual boats listed as IB – Retractable prop with flush plate.
Melges 32, Hotfoot 27, Flying Tiger 10, Hobie 33

Notify the handicappers that this is being looked at and get feedback on description and possible handicap adjustment. In order to clarify the description. Handicap may require adjustment to maintain ASP.

Hull Speed issue

Table could be created to show HP needed to achieve Hull speed. Gary can review Andrews information from years ago and put forward a suggestion.

5). Other items

  1. Chapman Championship – review should be done once sailing season has started. Some events are not confirmed yet. 

    Review again Mid May before 1st event.

  2. New Racer Award – Owen suggests that we wait for this as bias will be dependent on races being ran.

    : Review again Mid May before 1st event.

  3. 8 Meter One Design request (Box rule ratings) - Fran Doyle
    Request for a One Design Class & Handicap for the Classic & Modern boat.

    to accept
    M/S: Sue/Owen. Carried.

  4. Alternate TOT - Jamie Dike – tabled until March meeting.

    to review this item without Jamie.
    M/S: Owen/Bill. Carried.

We need to make much more clear recommendations when to use the alternate ToT. It currently reads;
’This alternate formula may be appropriate for use in Day Races and Interclub Events"

Something along the lines;
This alternate formula is most appropriate for fleets of boats with a longer LOA then the base PHRF-LO Handicaps (avg35’). When the weather is expected to be consistently more than 8 knots for the entire series.

Action: Bill Visser will review this for presentation at the fall meeting.

6) Projects and Initiatives:

  1. None
  2. Budget Review for Projects - for Executive – NA

7)      Adjournment 2:17 pm

Next CC meetings:

Fall Meeting: November 20, 2021