Zoom Video Conference
Saturday, November 20, 2021
Attendees: Larry Huibers – Pres, Bill Topping – V. Pres, Alison Jones – Sec/Tres, Brian Thomson – Chief H, Adam Farkas – Asst. Chief, Owen Schneider – Asst. Chief, Diana Riley – Exec Asst
1) Meeting was called to order at 8:55 am
2) Motion to accept minutes of Executive Nov 2020
M/S Brian/Alison. Carried.
3) Executive Slate Review for 2022
No resignations for 2022
4) AGM – January 22, 2022: Resume in person event or have Zoom webinar again.
- Zoom vs In person – no change in attendance
- Zoom served a different group (geographical)
- Zoom saves money
- Zoom can be recorded
Consensus seems to be towards Zoom.
Motion for a Zoom meeting (following the same format as last year) for the AGM 2022. M/S: Larry/Bill. Carried.
5) Training and Education WORKSHOP– Bill Topping
a) AGM 2022 - Zoom – Upcoming changes for the season.
b) Spring Training - Scheduled date would be March 26, 2022
Awards: Motion to move the Awards presentation to the 2023 Spring Training session. M/S Alison/Adam. Carried.
Training: Motion to hold training via Zoom (to avoid restriction) followed by regional clustering sessions that include sailmakers to demonstrate how to measure a sail. M/S: Larry/Owen. Carried
Action: Larry Huibers will draft a letter to be distributed to all lofts outlining intentions and expectations (free) and offer participation (with advertising) with small groups.
Communications: Alison suggested more information needs to be sent out to certificate holders regarding the Club and lake analysis and awards. Etc.
Action 1: Owen & Alison will come up with a communication process to assist handicappers to communicate with Certificate holders.
Action 2: Communicate at the AGM that this will be covered at the Spring Training session and encourage attendees to attend the STS.
Action 3: Include this as part of the Spring Training.
Action 4: to include this as a target Agenda item for the next 5 years to keep working toward better communication to our Certificate holders.
In Person Minimum Attendees: - Alison & Diana – tabled until in person session is resumed.
Consider setting a minimum number of attendees required or cancellation of event by a specified date.
6) Financial Review and Budget Proposal – Alison Jones & Diana Riley
a) 2021 Financial Review
Alison is suggesting an increased in the certificate fee:
$44.25 (increase of $3.85) (without Race credit)
(With Race Credit = $39.25, plus HST if applicable)
This increase will be reflected in 2022 deposit amount.
Charged and collectable in 2023 and will cover:
- Increase in Salaries
- Increase for Next year's expenses for in person meetings
- Need for new Computer equipment
b) Promotion of events using our handicapping system
Alison Jones feels that we should be able to re-instate the two awards in 2022.
- PHRF-LO Champman Season Championship
- PHRF-LO Chapman New Racer - Race Analysis Award
c) Admin Remuneration
Motion: Secretary-Treasurer proposed that contract labour hourly rates increase evenly over a 2/3 year period so they are aligned with market rates and asked for discretion regarding implementation in the best interests of the organization.
M/S Alison, Larry carried
d) 2022 Budget Proposal – Alison will produce an updated Budget Proposal for the AGM including the increases in income and spending.
e) Incorporating – Provincial vs Federal
Discussion centered around whether PHRF-LO should incorporate. Benefits, pitfalls, etc.
- Proprietary information should be stated on our web site.
- Is incorporating required for proprietary information or for Limited liablility?
- Federal incorporation requires an office in Canada but would be required due to US arms of organization.
Action: Other, more knowledgeable (lawyers etc) may be contacted to provide information.
f) Race Analysis – There is a significant enough data to produce a race analysis for 2021.
g) On-line certificate – currently testing for Calculating the ASP. Once this is working as needed, adding a new certificate will be forthcoming quickly.
7) Member Review:
a) NEW – None
- OOYC - Oak Orchard Yacht Club - Provisional member - rejoined in 2019 paying for 10 certificates in advance. Only had 7 certificates issued with no race results in 2019 and 1 in 2020, 0 in 2021.
- TYC - Trident Yacht Club - Provisional member - rejoined in 2021. No certificates issued.
- NYCR - Newport Yacht Club of Rochester - new Provisional member. 3 Certificates issued.
b) REINSTATE – None
c) DROP – None
d) Member Review - COVID & Racing – tabled.
e) Member District allocation review – Tabled for 2022
8) New Business:
a) Access to the Handicappers Worksheet - based on OLC above
b) BYLAW Changes:
- Need to set default Member voting delegate.
It was generally agreed that the Voting delegate for a Member, if not specifically identified, will default to the Main Handicapper.
Action: Will be added to the Bylaws for presentation at the 2022 AGM.
- Need to define maximum Handicappers based on number of certificates.
Action: Need for offline discussion - tabled
- Organizational Policies – deferred for further investigation
c) Succession planning – Alison: see 8 d)
d) Strategic Session should be set up to cover how the organization should continue into the future. Invite outside resources valuable in the area.
This can include Succession planning.
Action: Set up meeting of Executive with Expert and others.
Tentative: Beginning of Feb/2022
M/S: Larry/Bill. Carried.
9) Next Meeting: 3rd Saturday in November
Tentatively Scheduled November 19, 2022, 9:00 am
10) Adjournment of Executive: 10:59 AM.